Wednesday 2 August 2017

Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Palette Review

Price:£42 Available at Anastasia Beverly Hills

Hi everyone, today I wanted to share my thoughts on the new Subculture eye palette from Anastasia Beverly Hills. I've been very excited for this palette and I have been going back to wearing my Modern Renaissance palette, while I've been waiting for this palette to arrive. But will this palette be just as good or better than the popular Modern Renaissance palette? Lets find out.

Packaging 



The palette comes in a cardboard carton in the same colour and design as the palette itself, just like Modern Renaissance. To be honest, the packaging is pretty much the same to the Modern Renaissance, the only difference being the colour and minus the logo on the front. It has a pretty decent mirror on the inside and comes with the same dual end brush as the Modern Renaissance palette. 

The Shadows


There are 14 shadows in the Subculture palette, just like the Modern Renaissance. All the shadows are new apart from the shade Fudge, which I believe you can get as a single shadow. The reason I am excited for this palette is the colours. I mean just look at those colours, it is such a pretty palette and I can see a few looks that can be created with this palette.


The image above shows Modern Renaissance on the left and Subculture on the right. I feel with just looking at both of these palettes, you have more different colour options to create different looks with Subculture than you do with Modern Renaissance.

Swatches

--

The image above shows my finger swatches of all the shadows, as you can see they are all very pigmented. The only shadow that you can't really see well was Cube. Cube might apply better on the eye and/or with some fix plus. 
To me, the feel of the shadows don't feel as creamy as compared to the Modern Renaissance shadows but, what matters most is how they look when applied to the eye. 

Application


The image above shows the look I created with the shadows. I used the shades, Edge, New Wave, Axis, Electric, Cube and Rowdy. I wasn't intending to go for a green look but it just sort of happened when I was trying to blend out the harsh lines and obviously yellow and blue make green when mixed together. 
When applying the shadows, I found I had to really try and blend these shadows a lot more than I usually would, to make them even and to remove harsh lines. I found Edge and New Wave kept going patchy after blending them out and had to keep applying more the patchy areas. I used fix plus on Electric and Cube but they didn't turned out as I wanted. Cube I used in the corner of my eye but you can see it as it just didn't work for me as you can't see it. I do like how Electric looks over Axis but I was hoping that the fix plus would give Electric a bit more of a boost when it is not over another shadow.
I found there was a lot of fall out from the shadows, mainly the matte shadows. If I gently touched the shadow with my brush I would get a lot of kick back. I do expect a little kick back with eye shadow but not as much as these did. I felt with all the kick back that it is wasting the product. 

Final Thoughts


This is a hard one. I had such high hopes and expectations from this palette I was really hoping it would be just a great as the Modern Renaissance. I love the packaging and the shade selection in this palette but, when applied to the eye, I felt a bit let down. Most of the shadows have good pigmentation, but there is so much fall out and some are patchy and the shadows you need really need to work a lot more than Modern Renaissance. So if you are in a rush I wouldn't use the Subculture palette. 
As a brand, I feel Anastasia Beverly Hills is a brand you can rely on for great quality products. With the Subculture palette I don't know what has happened. I don't know if there was a change in ingredients, formula or if they were manufactured in a different way. 
I am going to try and work with this palette again as I've paid for it and I don't want my money to go to waste. But If you are looking to get either Subculture or Modern Renaissance, I would go with Modern Renaissance as it is a much better palette and it is £1 cheaper than Subculture on there U.K website.

Did any of you get this palette? Did it work for you? Let me know your thoughts on this palette. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig