Sunday 16 April 2017

Five Mascaras For Under £5



Wow I can't believe it is already April? Where is this year going!? So I had a sort out of my makeup recently and going through it, I discovered that none of my mascaras are drugstore and are very expensive. This made me think there must be a good mascara out there that doesn't cost a small fortune. Also with festival season approaching I don't like to take my expensive makeup with me in case it gets ruined. So I managed to find 5 mascaras that cost under £5 and put them to the test.

Rimmel London Extra Super Lash Rita Ora Black 101



Price: £4.99 Available at Superdrug 

The first mascara is the Rimmel London Extra Super Lash Rita Ora Black 101. This mascara claims "Reaches all lashes, even the ones at the inner and outer corners of the eyes. Lash building formula for highly defined lashes." 
It is also: 
  • waterproof
  • fade proof
  • up to 24 hour wear
  • intense colour that lasts all day and all night
  • lightweight
  • easy removal
  • glossy finish
  • enhances eye look
This mascara claims to do a lot for under £5 which if it lives up to then I may have found my new mascara.
The packaging is fine, it doesn't wow me but it doesn't bother me either. The actual applicator I like as its a brush applicator and not a plastic applicator. I prefer brush applicators as I feel they coat the lashes a lot better than plastic.


The image above shows the mascara on my eye with one coat. I only put one coat on as my lashes were clumping together so who knows what it would look like with two coats. But you can see the pigment is there and my lashes do look black. I would say it has made my lashes look a little longer but overall I am not really impressed by this mascara. If you like clumpy eyelashes then you will love this mascara. 


Miss Sporty Lash Millionaire Mascara Black 1



Price: £3.49 Available at Superdrug

Miss Sporty I haven't used or worn since I was in school. I've read and watch some reviews on there mascaras and heard some good things so I decided to include one of them. I choose the Lash Millionaire Mascara in the shade black 1. This one claims "Lash Millionaire has all it takes in one mascara for richer volume, breathtaking length and perfect lash separation." It pretty much claims everything I want in a mascara apart from being waterproof which I can live with.
The packaging is pretty simple and again it doesn't wow or bother me. The applicator is a brush which is a plus for me but in a different shape to the Rimmel one. It has a slight groove to it which is slightly similar to one of my favourite mascaras Too Faced Better than Sex.



The image above shows how the mascara turned out on my lashes. I quite liked this one for under £5. I only applied one coat and it didn't clump like the Rimmel and it made my lashes look longer and a bit fuller. I wouldn't say it separated my lashes too great but for under £5 I am actually impressed.

Primark PS Volumising Mascara



Price: £1 Available at Primark

I guess technically this isn't a drugstore mascara but it will still under £5 and is the cheapest out of the five. This wasn't the mascara I wanted from Primark but it was on the only they had in stock and hadn't been opened. This mascara only claims to be volumising from the name. 
The packaging is pretty similar to the Miss Sporty one and is pretty basic. The applicator is a brush and is opposite in shape to the Miss Sporty one in a way. 


The image above shows the mascara on my lashes. To be fair this wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be but it still isn't great. I wasn't really expecting a lot for a £1 mascara. I kept getting small clumps of mascara on my lashes and I tried to brush them out with the applicator as best as I could. I also found this mascara to be the messiest of the 5 as it would just go everywhere. 

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara Blackest Black



Price: £4.99 Available at Superdrug Boots & FeelUnique

This mascara has been around for a long time, I remember using this in school. It was always one of those items at my school that all the cool girls used and if you didn't use it then you wasn't cool. Well this mascara claims to be "America's favourite mascara." 
It also claims:
  • Conditions as it thickens
  • Lash-building brush makes it easy to get a full lash look without clumps
  • Lash doubling formula glides on smoothly to build great-looking lashes
  • Contact lens safe
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Washable
  • Blackest black shade contains extra pigments for intense colour
From what it claims I can see why it's America's favourite mascara. 
The packaging is very eye catching with the bright pink and green you can't really miss it. What I like about this mascara is that it is quite small and great for travelling and I think it was one reason it was popular at school cause it would fit nicely into bags and pockets. The applicator is quite small and is a brush not plastic.


The image above shows how the mascara looks on my lashes. I can see why I liked this back in school, it made my lashes look longer and you can build this mascara up. For under £5 I do like this mascara and I like how I can take it on the go with me. At the moment I would say this one is my favourite.

MUA Amplify Mascara Black



Price: £3.00 Available at Superdrug

The final mascara is from MUA and a brand I've not used before. This mascara claims "Maximum coverage, volumizing mascara for impactful lashes. Layer and coat from root to tip for deep, intensified colour achieving an ultimate statement-lash effect." 
The packaging is again simple and this is the only mascara of the five with a plastic applicator which I'm not a fan of. 


The image above shows how my lashes look with the mascara. I have to say that this mascara made my lashes look black. Out of the 5 I would say this one made my lashes look the blackest. It clumped my lashes a little but nothing that bothered me. My lashes don't look longer, but look a little fuller. If you want your lashes to look black then this is the mascara for you.

Final Thoughts


It was fun trying some new brands and going back to old ones I had forgotten about.Testing out and revisiting these mascaras I will be honest, they have not made me want to change from my higher brand mascaras. My favourite of these mascaras would be the Maybelline one and the Miss Sporty one in second place as they worked better for me. Do you love or hate any of these mascaras? If so what are you thoughts? 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig