Sunday 12 March 2017

Battle of the Drugstore Lip Kits



Ever since Kylie Cosmetics launched, the lip kits have been a must have for any makeup fan. Retailing at $26 they are not the cheapest and that is not including postage and packaging. If you don't live in the United States, chances are you will have to pay customs so overall you are spending a small fortune on one lip kit. 
Recently I have found some drugstore brands releasing there own lip kits in the U.K for a much lower price and I wanted to see if these are just as good, if not better than Kylie Cosmetics lip kits. So here are my first impressions/reviews of some lip kits from Barry M, Makeup Revolution and Lottie London.

Barry M Matte Me Up Lip kit 

Price:£4.99 - £6.99 Available at :Superdrug & Boots

Barry M is one of those brands I know of but never really use. I've bought plenty of there nail polishes in my time but I've never really tried anything else, so I was quite excited to try these. There are currently 3 shades available which are Runway, Go To and Pose. I did buy all 3 but I can't seem to find Pose. 
Let's first talk about the packaging. Out of all 3 brands this has the smallest packaging, which I like. Each one has the colour of the shade as the packaging and its pretty true to what the actual lip pencil and lip paint shade is. It is clean and simply and I think the little logo on the front is cute. 



Out of all 3 brands this is the only lip kit where the lip liner is a actual pencil. Which I actually prefer as I can actually sharpen it and get a decent point back when I've used it a few times. The lip paint has a bit of a chemical smell to it but it's not too strong. 

(Left to Right: Runway and Go To)

From swatches they had great pigment. When applied to the lips, they applied very well. The lip liner was smooth and creamy and the lip paint has a more of a liquid formula I would say very similar to Kylie Cosmetics formula. On the lips it needed a bit of time to dry and when dry it was comfortable and felt like there was nothing on my lips and it was not sticky. There was no patchiness and had great pigment on the lips. There was a very tiny bit of transfer on the kiss test and I mean very tiny, like you really had to look for it. 


Overall I really like this product. I think it is very close to Kylie Cosmetics lip kits and for the price you can't argue with it. I just hope in the future they will release more shades. It also has made me want to try more products of Barry M.

Makeup Revolution Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kit

Price:£6.00 Available at: Superdrug

Makeup Revolution is a brand I've never used before but to me it is a brand that uses ideas from higher price brands and makes there own version for a cheaper price. Which I guess is good in a way if you can't afford the higher brands. There are 8 shades currently available, Noble, Echelon, Glory, Grandee, Magnificent, Regal, Reign and Royal. I got Noble and Echelon to test out. 
First of all packaging, this has the biggest packaging out of the 3 brands. I like the black and it has lips on the front similar to Kylie Cosmetics. One thing that bugs me is that the lips represent the shade of the lip kit and I found this misleading as the lips on the packaging are a lot darker than the shades of the lip products in the kit. I was hoping Echelon to be a bit more red but it is more of a nude shade. I'm not sure if this is for all 8 shades but it is for the 2 shades I got. 


The lip liner is similar to Kylie Cosmetics in the plastic which I don't like cause I always feel you should move something at the bottom to make more product come out. The liquid lipstick has a chemical smell but it is very faint. 

(Left to Right: Noble and Echelon)

Both kits had good pigment from swatches. They applied well to the lips, the lip liner was smooth and creamy just like Kylie Cosmetics. The liquid lipstick took a while to dry and it had more of a creamy formula and was very sticky. My lips kept getting stuck together and my lips did not feel comfortable at all with this on. There was good pigment I must admit and on the kiss test there was some transfer. 


Overall I wasn't keen on this lip kit. I liked the lip liner as it was creamy and smooth to apply and was good pigment but it was the actual liquid lipstick that let this lip kit down big time. It is great they have more of a selection of shades but the formula of the liquid lipstick just wasn't for me, I can't stand having my lips stick together. 

Lottie London Slay All Day Lip Kit

Price:£8.95 Available at: Superdrug

Lottie London is a brand I've not used before and one brand I've been dying to try as I've heard good things about them. In the lip kits there are 4 shades available which are, Fleek, Hey Bae, #TBT, Werk It. I got the shades Hey Bae and Werk It. 
The packaging is smaller than the Makeup Revolution but a bit bigger than Barry M. There is a lot more going on the packaging but I like it. Similar to the Makeup Revolution the colour of the lips shows the shade of the lip kit. Only issue I has was getting the actual liquid lipstick out of the box.


The lip liner in this kit is the same as Kylie Cosmetics in the plastic. I won't repeat my views on this as I don't want to bore you. The liquid lipstick has a scent which kind of reminds me of washing up liquid or gel soap. It's not terrible, just a bit odd, its quite hard to describe but it is not a strong scent. 

(From Left to Right: Hey Bae and Werk It)

Again, the kits had great pigment from the swatches. The lip liner was creamy and smooth when applied to the lips. The liquid lipstick was more of a creamy formula, and dried pretty quick and was very comfortable and felt like there was nothing on my lips which is what I like.The formula kind of reminded me of Nyx soft matte lip creams, which are one of my favourite liquid lipsticks. There was no patchy areas and similar to the Barry M on the kiss test, there was only a very tiny amount of transfer. 


Overall I really like this kit and can't wait to try more from Lottie London. The lip liner reminds me of Kylie Cosmetics and the liquid lipstick reminds me of Nyx soft matte lip cream. I hope Lottie London releases more shades in the future.


The Winner...

For me it is very close between Barry M and Lottie London. Makeup Revolution is out for the misleading colour on the packaging and the horrible sticky lips it gives when applied. If I was going for formula similarity to Kylie Cosmetics I would go with Barry M. The lip liner is smooth and creamy and the fact it is a actual pencil I give it extra points because it will be so much easier to sharpen. The liquid lipstick formula reminds me of Kylie Cosmetics liquid lipstick the only difference being the scent. The down side is the limited amount of shades.
With Lottie London the lip liner again is smooth and creamy (to be fair all 3 kits had great lip liners). The creamy formula of the liquid lipstick I actually prefer as I feel I don't have to worry about the product leaking out. I feel it also nourishes the lips more than liquid formula. Again the down side is the limited amount of shades. 
So for me I will say both Barry M and Lottie London win for me. 

Have any of you tried any of these products? 
If yes what is your favourite? 
If no what would you want to try?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig